Small Business Saturday Shopping Guide
D.C. Shop Small
The last two years have demonstrated the resiliency and heart of small businesses—through a major shift in the way we shop and the way we work. What better time than now to prioritize shopping small for the holidays? Today we're highlighting a few of our favorite Washington-area shops for all of your holiday gifting needs. From the something-for-everyone bookstore to crowd-pleasing home accessories and one-of-a-kind art pieces, these local businesses have everything you need for memorable gifts that support local entrepreneurs and artists.
- Salt & Sundry—Explore eclectic tableware, organic bath products, and curated gift sets at every price point.
- Politics and Prose—A local independent bookstore with best-selling titles, topical journalism, and an expanded children's section.
- Shop Made in DC—Dedicated to supporting D.C. makers and artists. Find everything from baked goods to handmade jewelry.
- Shop Shelter—Fine jewelry and everyday minimal pieces carefully selected and designed by independent artists.
- Terratorie—Artist Torie Partridge creates illustrated maps to help you celebrate your cities and neighborhood.
- Take Care DC—A holistic spa and retailer of natural skincare, beauty and wellness brands.
- Penny Post—An independent stationery store in Alexandria, VA that stocks paper products and accessories from around the world.
- Shop Duly Noted—Curated and unique paper goods and gifts for anyone on your list.
- Solid State Books—A full-service general interest bookstore with a deep and diverse selection of fiction and non-fiction titles.
- Appointed District Shop—Don't forget to swing by our flagship store in Ivy City D.C. this weekend for Small Business Saturday. We're offering up to 30% off in-store, exclusive products, and expanded customization options.
Looking for Appointed in your area? Check out our store locator to explore the best local shops right in your neighborhood. Happy shopping!
As we close out 2022, I'd like to take some time to reflect on all we've accomplished this year. I am so proud of our hardworking team and immensely grateful to the customers and retailers who support our brand year after year. Here are a few of the most noteworthy moments from Appointed's 2022.
How a Year Task Planner Is Made: Behind the Scenes With Our Sr. Production Manager
Curious about how your favorite planner is made? You’re in luck. We sat down with Jaime, our Sr. Manager of Production, to chat about creating the Year Task Planner (YTP) from start to finish. Read on for a first-hand look at what it takes to bring our top-selling planner from our studio to your doorstep.
Read on for our top recommendations for a perfect day in Ivy City, including a peaceful nature walk, delicious food and drinks, and shopping with your favorite local paper brand (hint, hint—that’s us).
An inside look at the making of Appointed for Anthropologie as told by Sarah, Assistant Manager, Product Planning—from ideation, to materials and sourcing, to manufacturing a finished collaboration. Read on to gain a little insight about what went into creating the first limited-edition collaboration between Appointed and Anthropologie.
Take a stroll through Appointed HQ, and you’ll see one tool on every desk—one of our best-selling planners. We put our own planners to good use for project planning, meeting schedules, and more. Today we’re sharing planner picks from the Appointed team and suggestions for making the most of it.
As a thank you to those doing the necessary work of educating the next generation, we asked our team to reflect on the teachers that have touched their lives, ignited their curiosity, and passed on lessons they carry with them to this day.
Materials, Process, & Packaging: How Appointed Created a More Sustainable Notebook
We’ve prioritized more sustainable materials and production practices since the beginning, and have taken strides to extend that care further to our packaging and more. Today we’re walking through what separates the Appointed Notebook from the rest and how to care for and repair your products to extend their life.
Wherever your workspace may be—a desk in your bedroom, a traditional office, or a temporary space at a coffee shop—your work area and the tools you surround yourself with have an outsized impact on your creativity, productivity, and more. We believe a thoughtful set-up and the right tools can not only optimize your time, but also improve your overall well-being.
Whether you're planning a trip to the area, or you're a local looking for new recommendations for a weekend exploring your own backyard, we've surveyed the Appointed team for their favorite things to do in D.C. right now. Read on for Appointed-approved tips for your next perfect weekend.
Seven years ago today, I launched the Appointed Kickstarter Campaign. I distinctly remember how I felt that day—nerves about the uncertainty, excitement for what was to come, and confidence in what I had to offer. The idea for Appointed and the kind of products I wanted to create had been brewing in my mind for years leading up to that day, and the months previous were spent designing, planning, and dreaming.
Commentswrite a comment