Healthy Habits To Track In The New Year
Building positive habits is foundational to daily productivity. Whether devoting a few minutes each day to work toward a months-long goal, or adding a simple routine to boost your mental or physical wellness, small actions (when done with repetition) can have an outsized impact.
Our favorite way to stick to a habit? Utilize a habit tracker to kickstart a new routine and set yourself up for success. Today we’re walking you through the ins and outs of habit tracking, plus a few ideas to get you started.
Habit Tracking 101
The habit tracker is a useful yet simple tool used to track whether or not a habit was completed over a period of time. Whether you have a goal to finish a project by the end of the year, or simply want to track your workouts or meditation practice, a habit tracker can help motivate you to take small everyday actions toward long-term goals. Plus, keeping a visual record of daily habits illuminates progress and provides motivation to keep going.
- List your habits in the left-hand column. These could be daily routines, habits to avoid, or once-a-week (or even once-a-month) tasks & chores.
- Each subsequent column represents a single day—simply fill in or check off the box if the habit was successfully completed on that day.
- Review & Reflect: habit tracking doesn't only motivate us to keep going—it also can illuminate how we spend our time and help us learn more about ourselves. Maybe after a few months you'll want to re-assess what you're tracking or adjust your habits based on your progress.
Tips & Tricks
- Choose small actions you can complete in one sitting, or jot down a few longer-term goals that can be broken down into daily tasks.
- Consistency is key, so be sure to either record your habit as soon as you've completed it, or pick a time of day to fill out your habit tracker all at once.
- Try color-coding by type—this will make it easier to observe your progress in different areas of your life.
- Make it your own! Include habits you're trying to avoid, or even monthly and weekly activities—the possibilities are endless.
Healthy Habit Ideas
Not sure what to track? We've compiled a list of daily, weekly, monthly, and avoidance habits from our team to get you started.
- Make the bed
- Go for a walk
- Clear out your email inbox
- Hit your hydration goal
- Fill out your planner for the next day
- Read for 30 minutes
- Call or text a friend
- Write a letter
- Water your plants
- Walk or exercise your pet
- Meditate for 5 minutes
- Complete your skincare routine
- Less than _ hours of screen time
- Less than _ minutes of social media use
- Practice a skill like a new language or instrument
- Take vitamins/medication
- Write in your journal
- Hit your sleep goal / go to bed on-time
- Devote 30 minutes to a creative hobby
Whatever your goals in the new year, we have the tools to help you stay on track. Check out our productivity collection for even more essentials for keeping organized & getting you back to what matters most.
How Teachers Can Plan Ahead for the Year, Week, and Day and Still Enjoy Their Summer
As a former teacher turned planner expert, I am excited to share some planning tips for teachers as we release our new 23-24 planners. Back to school may feel far off into the future as the current school year winds down and summer starts, but it is never too early to start planning.
The arrival of spring signifies new beginnings and fresh starts. Now that winter is on its way out and the sun is beginning to stick around a little longer, you can take more...
Journaling can have an outsized impact on your mental health, creativity, and more. Today we’re walking you through why you should consider keeping a daily journal, the benefits you might see over time, how to make the habit stick, and some writing prompts to get your started.
Just like putting together the perfect outfit, finding the right accessories for your planner can make all the difference. Whatever your planning style, we’ve put together our favorite accessories for making the most of your plans. Read on for fan-favorite writing tools, clever add-ons, and perfectly-paired extras.
If the last time you used a binder was during your school-age years, we have some exciting news. The brand new Compact Binder is here to help you deep-dive into a hobby, catalog your reading list, track household chores, plan complex projects, and so much more.
Today we’re sharing how your planner can make a difference in your productivity and wellness right away. Read on for our one essential step to using a paper planner, and get ready to change your entire day in under five minutes.
Here at Appointed, the past few years tasked us with navigating a new normal—balancing remote and hybrid schedules for a team that had formerly been all under one roof. Read on for my favorite solutions for common work-from-home problems, plus a few remote work management tips from our Sr. Direct to Consumer Manager.
Whether you’re a parent with school-age kids or gearing up for a new college semester, de-stress the season by putting a few simple tips into practice. Read on for four easy steps to start the new school year strong.
Go analog with classic pen and paper for your easiest travel planning yet (and to make sure you don’t forget a thing). Here are our top suggestions for getting organized before you’re en route, and pro tips for enjoying the ride.
Summer Bullet Planning Ideas To Embrace Adventure and Inspire Creativity
We’ve compiled our favorite ideas for new seasonal spreads, summer-inspired theming, and more to make the most of our new favorite season. Grab your A5 journal, favorite accessories, and a cool drink, and read on for fresh new ideas from the planner experts.
Your Planner Is a Time-Management Tool College is a time in your life when you can most benefit from a planner system. Juggling endless readings, weekly assignments, and semester-long research papers is a challenge. Previously...
We believe that an optimized, organized workspace is key to a clearer mind. Take some time to rethink your current storage system with our favorite tips for keeping things neat.
Through years of planner practice, we’ve discovered the best ways to maximize our planners, what works, and what doesn’t. We also know that getting starting with a brand new system can sometimes be the hardest part, so we’ve put together an easy-to-follow 10 steps to set up your planner for success. Let’s get planning.
If you’ve been meaning to make a change in your office or work-from-home setup, what better time than the first official week of spring? Kick-start the season with our favorite tips and tricks for easy tidying that you can get done in under 30 minutes (and get ready to enjoy that fresh space feeling).
One tried and tested technique we can get behind? Using color to organize our planners. Today we’re outlining step-by-step instructions on how to color-code, tips for making a system that works for you, and all the tools you need to get started.
Commentswrite a comment